Saturday, December 17, 2011

Taking Inventory

When I don't take inventory of my closet frequently, this is what happens....

Angled Pleat Skirt in Royal Blue, All other skirts not available online

I end up purchasing 5 skirts within a two week time span. After taking a look at my closet, it turns out what I should be purchasing are sweaters and pants! The weather in Florida is bound to get cold soon [I hope. We've been having 80 degree weather since the beginning of Fall], and I barely have what I would need to get through a few cold months. Bye bye blue skirt...back to the store you go!

Here are a few steps you can take to prevent duplication in your wardrobe, and become more cognizant of  items you really need:

1. Taking a seasonal inventory. I shop often, so I like to take inventory more frequently. Take a look and make a mental note of what you need and don't need. 

2. Colorize your closet (from dark to lights). It wasn't until I organized my closet by color that I realized I have waaaay to much black. This is when I made a commitment to color. I love that I can take a quick glimpse into my closet and know that I should purchase more greens, less pinks, etc.

3. Take shoes out of their box and put them on display. I used to keep my shoes in boxes and store them in my closet, but found it really inconvenient and I always seemed to forget what shoes I owned. If you're a fan of footwear, show it! I display my shows on a shoe rack I purchased at the Container store. Luckily, it fits perfectly into my walk-in closet, but what I love best is being able to see all of my shoes in one place. Again, this helps me keep track of what types of shoes I should purchase when I'm shopping.

4. Purchase pairs or with an outfit in mind. I'm one of those people who always seem to find amazing separates (for example: skirts above), and the items tend to hang in my closet for months - never worn. I've found it helpful to only purchase separates with a pairing (at home) in mind. It's always easy to buy outfits at once, because you don't have to come up with a match on your own.

5. Leave the tags on and keep your receipt. It's nice to have the option of returning if you realize the item wasn't for you. I store all my receipts in one place, and keep return deadlines in mind. I can't tell you how many times I received an order and asked myself... why did I purchase this again? 

What do you do to prevent unnecessary purchases?

Have a great weekend ladies!
xoxo, natasha 

7 comments:

  1. beautiful blog!!!


    http://vigilantlense.blogspot.com/
    http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/3273128/vigilant-lense

    ReplyDelete
  2. great tips! i do this all the time!! i love stripes and have soooooooo many things that are too similar, i need to change it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute skirts. Can you post a pic of your shoes? I store mine in boxes because I can't find anything that holds enough pairs. I'd love to have mine on display.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mere, Sure! I'll post a pic or two of my shoes sometime soon. I also updated the post to include the link to Container Store shoe rack. I've ran out of space, and contemplating purchasing another...it takes up a bit of space, so we'll see! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for these tips. I'm in NYC and I'm just about to re-organize my closet (since college took up most of my time during the fall) and I've been stumped on how to coordinate everything. I'm liking the idea of organizing by color! Thank you again!

    Christal,
    fashion-forthesoul.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always check out the shoe stores whenever I go to the shopping center. I have a three-layered shoe rack at home, where I organize the shoes I frequently use. The shoe rack can hold six pairs, so I place 2 pairs of running shoes on the top rack, 2 pairs of walking shoes on the middle rack and 2 pairs of leather shoes (for office wear) at the bottom rack.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing feedback from my fabulous readers! Thank you for stopping by!
xo, tasha