Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Weather-Ready: The Trench Coat

Living in the Florida sunshine most of my life, never required me to have a true winter jacket...let a lone a tench coat. I get by with a really thick sweater and borrow a peacoat from my mother when the weather gets unbearable. Due to my frequent work trips to New York, I've been trying to grow my coat closet over the last few weeks. Believe it or not, it actually helps that I live in the South. The sales are amazing this time of year (thank you Macy's)! But nobody told me how difficult it was to find a trench coat that fits. Anyone else have this problem? Too short, too long, roomy in the shoulders...the list goes on. After many trips to the mall, a ridiculous number of online orders, and more returns than I typically make in a year, I think I might have drilled-down my decision to these five styles: 

 one / two / three / four / five


Although this experience has been exhausting (to say the least), I did learn a few things to keep in mind when shopping for a trench:
  1. Size - If you're planning to wear your trench coat year-round, be sure to consider sizing up. During the winter months, you be wearing thicker clothing, so you'll want to allow yourself a little bit of wiggle room.
  2. Fabric - Many of my favorite coats were 100% cotton. Although some cotton blends (i.e. ventile) can be spun very fine, this is typically not good if you're looking for something rain-resistant. A mixture of polyester is a sure sign your trench can be worn in the rain or shine.
  3. Details - High-end designers tend to focus a lot on style versus function and durability. Check zippers, buttons, cords, etc. to ensure they can hold up for years to come. I fell in love with a knee-length, black coat made by Michael Kors, but had to return it, because the gold buttons and zipper were made of a light plastic that was bound to break.


 Do you have difficulty finding coats that fit?
.

 
 RELATED POSTS:
*Linking up with Style Sessions + What I Wore + WIWW + Trend Spin
.
*

6 comments:

  1. Yes, I definitely do! I'm 5'2, so coats are always tricky, especially sleeve length. Also, my arms aren't very thin so I often find them too tight in that area. I think all of your picks are classic and chic! I love them all really. Good luck finding the perfect one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noelle, Glad to hear that I'm not the only petite girl having issues with fit. FYI: Banana Republic Petites section had a few trench coats that fit me well, however, they were all 100% cotton. xo, tasha

      Delete
  2. I love the piping on the first coat, but of course my eyes are immeidately drawn to the stripes!
    I got lucky and found my dream trench at the thrift store!
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyddie, What a great idea... maybe I should try my local thrift shops! xo, tasha

      Delete

I love hearing feedback from my fabulous readers! Thank you for stopping by!
xo, tasha